Senior Satcom Modem Engineer
San Francisco, CAApply Now!
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one. Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles. As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains. We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world. Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands. About the Role: Planet is working on the next generation small satellite bus that will host a high resolution optical imaging payload (Pelican) and a hyperspectral payload (Carbon Mapper). Planet has continuously iterated, developed and integrated small spacecraft digital communication systems including board level hardware, antennas, and ground station equipment that produce record data rates. Our system consists of transceivers in several bands, as well as a worldwide network of ground stations. We are seeking a seasoned Satcom modem engineer to develop our next-generation onboard and ground radios that push the frontiers of satellite communications. You will architect, design, simulate, implement and validate evolutionary and revolutionary software defined Satcom radios. You will be responsible for characterizing SDR link performance of Planet’s next-generation S through Ka-band radios. You will be responsible for down-selecting and working with Planet’s vendors and subcontractors on various Satcom solutions. You will facilitate and conduct testing on space and ground communication subsystems and ensure they are flight ready. You will collaborate and work closely with RF, EE, Flight SW and systems engineering, missions, and manufacturing teams to ensure mission success. Impact You’ll Own:
- Architect and design Planet’s digital communication schemes for our next generation satellites
- Implement, verify and validate software defined radios on appropriate platforms (CPU/GPU/FPGAs) using leading edge analysis and synthesis tools
- Lead the validation of the end-to-end satellite communications systems’ performance.
- Strong experience with DSP and digital communication theory and implementation, including digital modulation, synchronization, error correction, etc.
- Experience with software defined radios, in particular with GNU radio and linux development tools
- Experience defining and measuring radio performance metrics such as SNR, BER, PER, and constellation visualization in real time
- Experience with state of the art RF SoC implementations
- MS in Electrical/Computer Science or similar work experience. Ph.D preferred.
- Experience with Matlab, Simulink and DSP development tools.
- Experience in Linux, Python, and data analysis
- Experience in RF system design, testing, and troubleshooting
- Experience with HDL development tools (Verilog, VHDL)
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Experience with spacecraft system design, and general EE design is a plus.
- Experience with SDR design for space systems is a plus.
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits